Chris McGinnis, the director of Travel Skills Group, Inc., has tracked travel trends since 1989 in a variety of roles such as business travel columnist for BBC.com and travel correspondent on CNN Headline News. He’s also been the business travel columnist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Entrepreneur magazine. In addition to his consulting work, he now blogs about frequent travel on The San Francisco Chronicle’s website, SFgate and publishes The TICKET and The Bay Area Traveler blogs for business travelers. Chris is a regular contributor and commentator on CNN, HLN and Fox News. He co-hosts the popular #TravelSkills chat on Twitter. He contributes to several special business/luxury travel sections for the Wall Street Journal, Fortune and Bloomberg-BusinessWeek magazines. He’s also a speaker, consultant and the author of two books on business travel.
Currently based in San Francisco, Chris has covered consumer and business travel issues since 1989 in a variety of roles, including:
- Business Travel Columnist, BBC.com
- Editor and publisher of The Bay Area Traveler-The BAT, and The TICKET, monthly e-newsletters and blogs for frequent travelers.
- Creator and co-host of the #TravelSkills chat on Twitter
- Editor, The Frequent Travel Advisor blog on the San Francisco Chronicle website, SFgate.com
- Contributor, CNN On-The-Go, a series of television segments covering travel news and trends appearing on CNN, HLN and CNN.com
- Business Travel Expert and Blogger for Best Western’s Travel Blog You Must Be Trippin.com
- On-call travel expert for a variety of television and radio news programs, from Good Morning America to Fox News
- Writer and producer for a series of business and luxury travel sections in FORTUNE, Forbes, and Bloomberg/BusinessWeek magazines.
- Editor, Expedia Travel Trendwatch, a quarterly report on consumer travel trends, insight and tips.
- Travel correspondent for CNN Headline News, and Travel Adviser columnist for CNN.com where he covered consumer travel issues from 1996 through 2005. He was also the travel correspondent for the Weather Channel for two years.
- For nearly a decade in the 1990’s, Chris was Business Travel columnist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Entrepreneur Magazine and the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
- Author of two books, The Unofficial Business Traveler’s Pocket Guide (1998 McGraw-Hill). And 202 Tips Even the Best Business Travelers May Not Know (1994 McGraw-Hill).
- Before focusing on business travel, Chris was a management consultant and corporate trainer, logging over 100,000 frequent flyer miles a year.
- Chris earned an MBA from the Thunderbird School of International Management in Phoenix, AZ, and an undergraduate degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Read the story of Chris’s career path in Travel Career Connections.
photo by David G. McIntyre aboard a Cathay Pacific training cabin in Hong Kong