Q&A with ATL about new International Concourse F

For the great majority of business travelers who catch a cab, get a ride or drive and park at the airport AND take international flights that will depart and arrive at ATL’s Concourses E and F,  the big changes coming to the airport are likely a good thing. But for those who have more complicated trips that include ground transportation options like MARTA, rental cars or off-airport parking, the new “international complex” at ATL is going to cause frustration. (This is the second in a series about ATL’s Concourse F. Here’s the first installment.)

This week The TICKET wrangled airport authorities away from preparations for the big grand opening of the new Concourse F (May 16th) to answer our burning questions. You are bound to have more. So leave your questions or comments below and let’s see if we can get them answered. And finally, don’t complain too much until you’ve given Terminal F a try. Here goes:

Q: Are there any airlines that will specifically be assigned gates at F? Is there any way to know which terminal (E or F) you will be using based on the airline you are flying?

A: All carriers offering non-stop international service will have ticketing counters in the International Terminal. At this time, Air Canada, British Airways and Lufthansa will primarily use gates on F, but may be assigned elsewhere as needed. Delta Air Lines will operate from both E and F.

Q: How many gates are in each terminal? How many gates in E are used for domestic flights? Will this continue? Will Terminal F ever be used for domestic flights like E is now?

A: Concourse F has 12 gates. Concourse E has 28 gates. All 40 international gates can be used for domestic service during non-peak international operations.

Q: When or if an airline brings in an A380, which terminal will it use… E or F?

A: E for the foreseeable future. A project is in progress to upgrade gates E1 and E3, which will allow them to work together to load or unload an A380.   It was announced in late February that Korean Air has scheduled the Airbus A380 for its daily service between Atlanta and Seoul. The service is slated to begin as early as January 2013.

Q: Will any airlines other than Delta and its SkyTeam partners have a lounge in F?

A: No, however there will be a full-service, state-of-the-art common-use lounge available for other airlines club members. This will open later this year on the mezzanine level of Concourse F.

NOTE: Have YOU subscribed to The TICKET? Have you recommended The TICKET to a colleague lately?? If not, why not? We depend on your support and word of mouth! Please. Today. Just. Do. It. Enter your email in the pink box in the upper right corner >>. Or send this link to a friend and tell them to SUBSCRIBE!! Thx!

Q: Will there be two different customs and immigration halls at ATL… in both E and F? If so, will I have an option to choose which hall I want to use upon arrival?

A: Yes there will be two, but passengers will not have a choice which one to use. The CBP [Customs and Border Protection] facility on E will remain fully operational and serve passengers arriving at Concourse E connecting to other flights. Atlanta-bound passengers arriving on Concourse E will pass through a sterile corridor with moving walkways to the CBP area on Concourse F for processing. All passengers arriving at Concourse F will process through CBP on Concourse F, whether they are connecting to other flights or finishing their travel in Atlanta.

Q: What if I depart on a domestic flight, and park by the main terminal, but I arrive back in ATL on an international flight at F—how will I get to my car?

A: A designated shuttle (The International Shuttle Connector) will transport passengers from the arrivals level of the international terminal to the domestic terminal ground transportation center, which provides access to all domestic parking lots and MARTA.

Q: What if I depart on an international flight and park by F, then return to ATL on a domestic flight arriving at A. How will I get to my car?

A: The International Shuttle Connector will take passengers from the domestic terminal ground transportation center to the international terminal arrivals level.

Q: If I’m departing from F and parking my car on one of the private lots on Camp Creek, how will I get to Terminal F? Will the shuttle from parking lots stop at both Main and F? Will parking lots have dedicated shuttles to F?

A: All parking shuttle providers have the opportunity to serve the international terminal, but passengers need to check with their provider. However, a new 2,400-space International Park-Ride facility will be open May 16 on Maynard Jackson Jr. Blvd. at just $12 per day. The shuttle to the international terminal will take about 3 minutes.

Q: If I’m arriving at F and I want to rent a car… how will I get from F to the rental car center? What about arriving at E?

A: The international Shuttle Connector will transport passengers from the arrivals level of the international terminal to the rental car center.

Q: If I arrive at Concourse E and have checked baggage, how will I get it to the main terminal?

A: Atlanta-bound passengers arriving on Concourse E will go through immigration, collect checked baggage and clear customs on Concourse F and leave through the arrivals level of the international terminal. [To get the the main terminal from there will require a ride on the shuttle because once you've cleared customs, you are out of the airport sterile area.]

Q: If I arrive at Concourse E and have checked baggage, how will I get it to the parking lots by F?

A: Atlanta-bound passengers arriving on Concourse E will go through immigration, collect checked baggage and clear customs on Concourse F and leave through the arrivals level of the international terminal where they can access the international hourly parking facility, the International Park-Ride shuttle and other ground transportation services.

Q: Does the same train run all the way from main terminal to Terminal F?

A: Yes, the Plane Train and pedestrian walkway have been extended from E to F.

Q: If I have arrived on a flight at Concourse F and want to get to the main terminal, should I take the train or the shuttle?

A: [The plane train is not an option in this case.] Only ticketed passengers can pass through a security checkpoint, therefore these passengers will access domestic terminals north and south via the International Shuttle Connector.

Q: What if I park at F, but my flight departs from E…how do I get to my gate?

A: All departing international passengers traveling on non-stop international flights will check-in at the international terminal regardless of whether their flights leave from Concourse F or Concourse E.

Q: How do I get to the MARTA station if I’ve arrived at F with checked baggage?

A: The International Shuttle Connector will transport passengers from the arrivals level of the international terminal to the domestic terminal ground transportation center, which provides access to MARTA.

Q: How do I get to the MARTA station if I’ve arrived at F with carry on bags only?

Have any more questions? Check here for the airport’s pre-prepared FAQs which are helpful. Or ask your question here and we’ll try to get some answers for you! Bon voyage!

Comments

1. Marion Harbison says:

I arrived at the new terminal last week and it was a hassle to get to the main terminal, since no one is available to help with your bag. if you have health issues or elderly it is impossible to lift your bag into the shuttle. we sat like sardines in the shuttle since there was not enough room in them to accommodate international luggage. it would help to have someone available to help with your luggage. it was a nightmare for me.

2. Dan Flaherty says:

Will flights to Hawaii and/or Alaska depart from Termainal F?

3. Stephen says:

Was it not enough that Maynard Jackson’s name “horned in” on the Atlanta Hartsfield moniker? Did they have to name this terminal after him as well? Valerie Jackson must have cried extra hard to accomplish this. I guess the big question is why are they trying to make a mediocre mayor into some great man.

4. Dave Marcus says:

That’s “shuffle bus”, not “shuttle bus”.

5. All of the “Maynard Holbook Jackson Jr. International Terminal” signage at the new terminal is over the top. My favorite (I’m not making this up)is:

“M. H. Jackson Service Road”

…..in honor of this great man!

6. I’m certain that Chris tried to make this simple, but I predict a fiasco.

7. Mick @3:32 gets it!

For MOST people it’s simply Hartsfield or ATL!

8. $1.4 billion for only 12 gates and shuttle buses to boot.

This is ATL’s 3rd international concourse in 30 years, you would think we would have gotten it right this time!

But, based on the name, it was doomed from the beginning.

9. Shuttle buses? Are they kidding?

I think the name should include an asterisk to let everyone know his family is STILL considered a “disadvantaged” vendor and was able grab some of the new vendor slots. The man still haunts us from the grave.

10. Sent to us via email from T:

What will Delta consider as the legally connection time for passengers arriving at F and going to a domestic flight in terminal A-E? I hope not as ridiculous as Charles De Gaulle in Paris one hour.

11. Don Rogers:

There is a small baggage carousel in the arrivals level of the new international terminal that spits out checked bags that have already cleared customs in the departure city. I’m not sure if all such flights will be routed to E & F, but this setup is available when they are.

12. “Welsome to the Maynard Holbook Jackson Jr. International Terminal at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport” – What a mouhful! And how come Jackson gets mentioned twice? Mention him three more times and we will have our own Jackson Five.

“Thank you for using the Maynard Holbook Jackson Jr, memorial stall, in the Maynard Holbook Jackson Jr commemorative sanitary suite of the Maynard Holbook Jackson Jr tribute Pier at the Maynard Holbook Jackson Jr. International Terminal at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport”

13. What if I am traveling internationally on Delta, but for whatever reason (parking, MARTA, etc.) arrive at the airport at the “old” domestic terminal. Can I check-in there for the international flight and take the train to Terminal F, or will I have to get on the shuttle and go over to the new International Terminal to check in?

In other words, will Delta still be able to do international check-ins in the “old” domestic terminal?

In other words, if domestic travelers can check in at F and take the train to a departing domestic flight, can international travelers check in at the old domestic terminal and take the train to a departing international flight?

Seems to me that since they were already building the elevated tram to the rental car plaza, the tram line should have been constructed to terminate at the new international terminal. It would eliminate a ton of waiting time and expense (both fuel and labor) operating the shuttles. Not exactly stellar environmental planning in my mind.

14. I think this article more confuses me then helps me out. I see the price for parking above is noted at $12 (for previous comment) and it is a giant parking facility and covered levels are options.

Fascinating story on how they accomplished extending the plane train in the middle of the night.

I was told by Delta when I toured that domestic can check in at F and go over to the others. I believe via the plane train. In a nutshell, if you arrive (except int’l Canada, etc) / connect through any terminal, you can make it to any gate in any concourse. If you arrive international, you have to exit the sterile area and connect over. The bus over shouldn’t be too much of a problem, it’s a setback in my eyes though and a win for Atlanta residents. With such high volume connecting traffic though I must admit I am disappointed that the external part is now all included.

15. Sounds like a mess to me. Glad I live in Florida now and only have to “connect” through Hartsfield!

16. Sounds like a lot of hassle and stress will be involved.

17. Does anyone know parking rate at the international terminal?

18. Richard says:

Will the new International Park & Ride include covered parking?

19. Don Rogers says:

What will happen with flights to and from Toronto (YYZ) where passengers pass through customs and border patrol in the YYZ airport prior to arrival in ATL? I imagine those flights will continue to be treated like domestic flights in ATL but I haven’t heard…

20. Monique says:

Sounds like the International Shuttle Connector is the only way to get around – how often will it run? And how big is the fleet (assuming there will be more than 2 shuttles running)?

21. Good luck with this “International Shuttle Connector”. It will be colossal mess with traffic in and around the domestic terminal, especially when construction starts.