With the sights and sounds of the San Francisco 49ers playing at Wembley Stadium on TV today, it’s a perfect time for me to write about my latest business trip to London, my favorite city in the world.
Last month British Airways invited me to fly from Los Angeles to London aboard its brand new Airbus A380. With typical British pomp, BA is cleverly calling this “The Red Carpet Route,” due to the heavy film industry traffic between the two cities.
LAX-LHR is the type of route where movie stars and industry moguls actually pay the $19,216 first class (or $7,356 business class) round trip fare. While I saw no big stars aboard my flight, Kate Moss was in the line next to me at customs at Heathrow.
BA’s departure from LAX is late—8:45 pm, which means you can get in a full day’s work, board and eat a quick meal after departure, go to sleep (hopefully) and wake up in time for arrival in London at about 3:00 pm the following day. Those in the Bay Area who would like to give BA’s A380 a try can jump on a cheap flight down to LAX, transfer over to the airport’s shiny new Tom Bradley International Terminal to board BA’s jumbo for the 9.5-hour flight to London.
Most carriers flying the A380 have first and business class on the upper deck, and economy class on the lower or “main” deck. BA has opted to keep premium passengers at “the front of the plane.” This means first class and business class sections are located at the front end of the upper and main deck and economy class is at the back end of both the upper and main deck. Take a video tour of BA’s A380 here.
Below are some notes and 12 photos from my trip. Enjoy!
(Disclosure: I was a guest of British Airways on this journey)
SPONSOR: HOW TO GET A $400 AIRLINE TICKET FOR $89…and help out TravelSkills?: Want to snag an easy 40,000 bonus miles? Earn 2x miles on all purchases? Avoid obnoxious foreign transaction fees? Get TripIt Pro for free? Check out the new Barclaycard promo here or at the bottom of this post. Easy peasy! Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard – $89 Annual Fee Card We earn a small commission when BATs sign up, so if you are in the market for a new card, help us out and sign up! It’s quick and easy.
And just in case you missed it, here’s what else you need to know about Bay Area Travel over the last month:
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 or more on purchases in the first 90 days from account opening. 40,000 bonus miles equates to $400 off your next travel redemption!
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months after account opening. After that, variable APR, currently 14.99% or 18.99%, based upon your creditworthiness
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- No mileage caps or foreign transaction fees
- Get 10% miles back when you redeem for travel statement credits (i.e. redeem 25,000 miles for travel and get 2,500 miles back)
- Use your card to book through any airline, hotel or discount travel engine with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
- Easily redeem your miles for statement credits towards all or a portion of your travel purchases within the last 90 days
- Complimentary online FICO® Score access for Arrival cardmembers