Marriott Rewards members will see upgraded functions and personalized features in the hotel giant’s redesigned mobile app, available now for iOS users through the Apple App Store.
The company said the upgraded Marriott Mobile app will be ready for Android users later this year.
Among the changes:
- The app has offered mobile check-in/check-out and room-ready alerts for three years, but now members who check in with the app will be able to request room upgrades and find out before they arrive whether the request was approved.
- Users will also be able to ask for a late check-out via the app instead of calling the front desk (late check-out is guaranteed for Marriott Rewards Gold and Platinum members).
- With the improved Mobile Requests feature, users can chat directly with hotel staff before, during or after their stay for requests that need personal attention; they can also select from a drop-down menu listing the most common requests (e.g., more towels).
- The app’s Mobile Key function, which lets users unlock their room from their phone, is gaining more widespread applicability, coming to another 500 hotels worldwide this year.
- The app will let users peruse destination content for their upcoming trips, culled from Marriott’s digital magazine and provided by local experts.
- A new user interface uses a one-button design that provides “simple thumb-tap access to everything the app has to offer,” Marriott said.
The app’s functionality will get even more personalized later this year, Marriott said, when it rolls out a real-time messaging service called mPlaces. That will provide users with “travel and hotel information, recognition and offers at the right time and place for Marriott Rewards members throughout their stays,” the company said.
“Over time, Marriott will add more personalized and informative content based on data and driven by beacons now installed at over 500 hotels,” Marriott noted. “For example, members who typically work out while they travel would receive information about the location, hours and services of the hotel fitness facility. Other future app features will enable members to order restaurant and room service menu items delivered wherever they are, such as lounging by the pool.”
Do you use hotel apps? Which ones, and which features, work best for you? Please leave your comments below.
In the market for a new credit card? See our “Credit Card Deals” tab to shop around! It helps us help you.