TravelSkills’ 12 most popular posts over the last week… plus a few newsy nuggets we missed.
1. The tone of reader comments here is surprising: Ugly Chinese worse than ugly Americans?
2. One of two first class sales from Delta: First class airfare sale for summer
3. At long last, a public beta: Big changes at United.com
4. Is the attraction to Airbnb generational? Airbnb just won’t quit
5. More new car smell: Hertz’s big new fleet: 235,000 cool cars
6. Most are headed south: Where will United fly its 787 Dreamliners?
7. Delta shows its true colors: You don’t have to be gay to fly first class
8. Hacking flight plans from seatback entertainment systems: United offers one million miles to hackers
9. United’s big spend in IAH making Chicago jealous: United’s shiny new terminal in Houston
10. Most engaging headline this week FAT FUK & FAR: Decoding airport codes
11. The ugly Chinese at it again: World’s biggest boondoggle?
12. Don’t overlook this option this summer! Premium economy at economy prices this summer on Lufthansa
TWO new 50,000 mile bonuses: United and Southwest. Scroll down for details.
Our favorite reader comment this week:
Regarding the post Ugly Chinese worse than ugly Americans? “They probably don’t know any better or that they are considered rude. So yes, if the Chinese government steps in to educate their outgoing residents on how not to be the Ugly Chinese – that would be a plus for all of us.” -Susan
Taking off on vacation or business this summer? Check out TravelSkills editor Chris McGinnis new video to find out what to expect. CLICK image to launch video.
Juicy nuggets of news from other sources that we missed on TravelSkills this week:
Breaking news: Cheese slices at United Club at SFO are back to full thickness…but they are not Tillamook. Did you notice?
TWO 50,000 mile bonus offers to consider if you are in the market for a new credit card:
BEST FOR UNITED FLYERS The United Explorer Card is perfect for those who don’t fly or spend enough to earn elite status– that’s because the card provides some nice elite level perks like priority boarding, passes to United Clubs and free first checked bags. Other nice perks: no irritating foreign transaction fees, primary car rental collision coverage and double miles on tickets purchased from United. Right now you can get 50,000 bonus miles for signing up and spending $3,000 in the first three months. Plus, the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year. Details in our TravelSkills post about the card here.
BEST for travelers who love Southwest‘s no frills approach to travel: The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Card offers 50,000 points (enough for TWO roundtrip flights) after spending just $2,000 in first three months, plus a 6,000 point bump every year on your cardmember anniversary. In addition, it does not charge foreign transaction fees, and offers two points per dollar spent on Southwest flights as well as its hotel and car rental partners. What’s nice about this offer is that the 50K bonus points get you almost half way toward Southwest’s coveted Companion Pass status, which requires 110,000 points. Details